Rear-End Auto Accidents
Los Angeles Auto Accident Lawyer Protecting the Rights of L.A. Accident Victims
The Rudman Law Firm, APC is a boutique personal injury law firm that serves clients in Los Angeles, Studio City and surrounding Southern California towns. Our attorneys have dedicated our more than 75 years combined careers to helping injury victims pursue justice. Because personal injury is all our firm practices, our lawyers have the extensive knowledge and sheer determination to seek the maximum possible compensation for your injuries.
Myth about Rear-End Crashes
Our lawyers caution that it is a myth that the driver in back is automatically responsible for a rear-end collision. Although the driver of the vehicle in back is usually at fault, this is not always the case. We conduct a thorough investigation to prove fault and damages. We often take on challenging rear-end car crash cases, including multivehicle accidents when an automobile pushes one auto into another one.
Causes of Rear-End Collisions
Rear-end crashes occur when one vehicle runs into the rear of another vehicle in front of it. Even in a low speed rear-end collision, occupants may sustain serious injuries such as whiplash, herniated disks and head injuries. This common type of accident typically occurs because of:
- Tailgating: The general rule is that drivers should leave a two-second gap between cars. To determine if one is leaving enough room, a driver should start counting as soon as a vehicle traveling in front passes an object and then insure that his or her vehicle does not reach that same object before two seconds have passed. Unfortunately, motorists are often in a hurry and drive too close to other vehicles, making it near impossible to stop in time even when slamming on the brakes.
- Distracted driving: A person takes her or his eyes off the road for an average of five seconds while texting. While driving 55 mph, that is the equivalent of driving the length of one football field without looking. Other driving distractions — including talking on the phone, arguing with a passenger, reaching for an object, grooming or eating — also pose serious risks of rear-ending another vehicle.
- Drugged or drunk driving: The response time of an impaired driver slows significantly, and thereby widens the gap between registering stopped traffic ahead and applying the brakes. Increased prescription drug use in the country has also put more drugged drivers on the road.
- Weather conditions: Rear-end collisions often increase during wet weather. Drivers should account for rain by slowing down and leaving more room between vehicles.
- Broken auto taillight: A red taillight alerts drivers that the car in front is stopping. A broken taillight removes this important visual cue and is a risk factor for rear-end crashes.
- Road obstruction: Motorists expect cars to slow at red lights, stop signs and crosswalks. But, motorists also have a duty to pay attention in case traffic suddenly stops for a child, an animal, road debris or an accident.
Get the Legal Help You Need if You Have Been in a Rear-End Collision
The Rudman Law Firm, APC represents victims of vehicular accidents, including clients who were rear-ended by other cars. To schedule a free appointment with a Los Angeles auto accident lawyer, call our Encino office at (818) 769-6969 or toll free at (844) 478-3626 / (844) 4RUDMAN. Under our contingency fee plan, you do not pay us lawyers’ fees until we recover.