Standing Up to Trucking Companies After an Accident
Commercial vehicles are much bigger and heavier than typical cars. For this reason, these trucks tend to cause catastrophic damage to occupants of smaller, lighter vehicles.
The Rudman Law Firm, APC is a respected personal injury law firm with offices in Los Angeles and Studio City. Our lawyers have dedicated their careers of over 60 years combined solely to the pursuit of justice in personal injury claims. Because of this level of dedication and experience, we are able to take on complex claims involving tractor-trailer accidents.
Driver’s Fault in a Commercial Vehicle Crash
Safely maneuvering a large commercial vehicle requires a high level of skill and concentration. One error can quickly cause a tragic accident. And yet, drivers often act negligently by:
- Texting while driving
- Engaging in distracting activities
- Driving while intoxicated
- Ingesting prescription drugs
- Forgoing sleep for too long
Laws Governing Commercial Drivers
Several California and federal laws regulate the trucking industry to promote public safety. Key legislation covers such important truck driver conduct as:
- Tired driving:Hours of service rules mandate rest periods and set limits on the amount of time a driver can drive and work during a shift and a workweek. HOS rules also require truck drivers to maintain accurate logs of work, driving, rest and sleep times.
- DUI:The limit for a DUI in California is lower for commercial drivers than for other motorists. A driver faces prosecution for a .04 percent blood alcohol concentration (BAC) or higher and may lose commercial driving privileges as well as be sentenced to jail and fines.
- Texting while driving:Truck drivers are not permitted to text or to talk on a hand-held phone while operating a commercial vehicle.
Even in cases when a driver has caused the accident, the trucking corporation is also typically to blame. To make unrealistic deadlines, the driver’s employer might encourage the driver to skip rest breaks in violation of hours of service rules or tolerate use of illegal stimulants. Company policy might mandate unrealistic response times of drivers and so prompting them to text or call while behind the wheel.
Suing a Tractor-Trailer Corporation
Our Los Angeles truck accident lawyers immediately investigate the circumstances that led to the truck crash, and gather important evidence to determine what happened. We often subpoena phone records to investigate whether the driver was on the phone at the time of the accident and review the black box for data about braking, steering and speed of the truck. We question witnesses who have firsthand or expert knowledge about the incident. Our strategies are designed to seek the highest possible settlement or verdict.
Learn More about 18-Wheeler Accident Recovery
The Rudman Law Firm, APC is available to investigate your truck accident and pursue the maximum damages possible for your injuries. For your free case evaluation, contact a Los Angeles truck accident lawyer at (213) 375-3777or toll free at (844) 478-3626 / (844) 4RUDMAN.
We are also available by telephone at our Studio City office: (818) 769-6969. We take your case on a contingency fee basis, so you have no out of pocket costs in pursuing justice.